Monday, February 6, 2017

Teacher's Corner - Sight Words



If you're like me, you don't remember learning to read words like: this, and, it, but, etc.  If I asked you to define them, you might be left searching for an explanation.  You would probably try to use it in an example, like, "I want to go to the bathroom, but there's no toilet paper."

For my ESL students, these can be the most difficult words to teach, since it's hard to define them.  Research shows that words in context work better than drill and kill with flash cards.  Which, is counter intuitive, as most schools use word lists and flash cards to teach sight words, over context in books.  I think a combination of both is the best medicine.  I like to introduce new words in books, but also send the words lists home.  See the sight words link on the right to find my YouTube videos. 

Most school districts or charter systems have their own lists.  Some use Frye or Dolch lists.  As I've moved around a bit, I tend to stick with Dolch.  For me, it's the most consistent list with the most crucial words at the most appropriate ages.  That's why all my videos are from Dolch. 

In addition to the videos, I like to use spellingcity.com.  Their Word Scramble game is almost identical to a game I play with my students using letter tiles or index cards.  

What about you?  How do you teach sight words in your class?

No comments:

Post a Comment