Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Setting a Culture of College as an Expectation

For me, it's important to set goals.  Before starting my Instagram, blog, and YouTube channel, I knew what my end goal was.  I'm not saying I'm meeting it but... I digress.  For us as educators, I feel like the end goal is college.  People who graduate college are statistically likely to make 2x as much as someone who only graduates high school.

That, to me, should make college an emphasis for all students.  Last year, while teaching first grade, I made sure kids knew that was their goal.  We read affirmation statements like, "I'm going to college!" for fluency practice.  

The high school in my school system this year has a pretty great idea going.  Their wall decorations are pennants from local and national universities.  Here's a picture:



Another great idea I've seen is a bulletin board that shows which colleges each teacher went to.  I think it's really important that students know that all of their teachers went to college, and that is why we expect it from them:


Let me know.  What ideas do you have to help students set an expectation for themselves to be a college graduate?  

No comments:

Post a Comment