Friday, February 17, 2017

Parent Teacher Conferences

This past week we had conferences.  I have a love/hate relationship with conferences.  I feel like I relearn everything I thought I knew twice a year.  Parents come in and say things like, "Yeah, last year he had an IEP at his other school."  Or, "Yeah he doesn't talk to us either."  Getting your theories and ideas confirmed or adjusted can be a life saver.  I, for one, wish they could be 3-4 times a year for that reason alone.  

I get why some people don't like conferences.  At some schools, you have to meet with every parent, or call relentlessly until they come in to get sufficient number for funding.  Seeing everyone is a great thought, if it weren't for the fact that some of those parent don't want you to call at all.  Or all three numbers you have for them don't work.  

You also have to stay for an extra 3-4 hours after school.  My school this year is pretty cool in that you go from 10:30-6:30 instead of doing two 12 hour days and then taking a day off.  It's really hard on teachers to go for 12 hours while teaching a full day and have meaningful conversations.

This week I learned:
-One of our students has face blindness (real thing).
-One of our students was getting pull out time last year and no one told us.  
-Only 2/24 parents knew about the grade portal application.  (It was super helpful to be able to explain that).
-At this school, I should keep copies of all the math assignments so I don't have to copy them.  
-I should not translate... ever (That's a long story, that I need booze for).  
-No matter how busy they get, I learn a TON.

Tell me.  What kinds of things to you learn from conferences?  

No comments:

Post a Comment