Monday, February 27, 2017

In-service Day


It's In-Service Day here at the ole ranch!  I don't care if you get Ron Clark himself to come in and do the Whip Whip Nae Nae on the desks, I do not like this stuff.  

I show up everyday wanting to believe I'm making a difference for kids.  A day away from kids altogether does not make me feel that way.  Especially when that day away is  over a topic I've had covered, at minimum, 8 times.  

Sometimes, like today, that means I get hours upon hours to catch up on blog posts, Instagram, actual lesson plans, and play on my phone.  And even though I cherish time to work on those things, I'm not meeting my purpose.  

I have had some really good ones in the past.  My favorite one was a Hindi speaker who taught a lesson in Hindi so everyone could see that: a) it sucks listening to a language you don't get all day b) there are simple methods to cuing kids in to what is going on with targeted vocabulary and visual aids  c) most teachers cannot see how hard it is for those kids until they feel it themselves.

Another great one was about how the mind works and how teachers can use that information to get kids more actively engaged.  

The worst in-service was about Tier 3 intervention that made me cry WAY more than 3 tiers of boredom.  

You tell me:  What notable in-service experiences have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment